Jay, Eli, and June!

Jay, Eli, and June!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

The pond, oranges, and shoes

Prancing around the house eating goldfish in his favorite shoes. Hannah and I took the boys to a "splash pad" yesterday...Jay was a little hesitant but gave it a shot.
he tries to unlock the doors every time I give him my keys...hence the doorknob covers.
He is in love with Baby Einstein videos!
Playing the piano with Michael...what better toy for wild man than one that you can bang AND make a ton of racket with!
Playing with Dixie...Jay cracked up when he would throw a toy and she'd go after it...much easier than playing with our gigantic puppy.
Well here's to a short and sweet blog post again since Jay decided to wake up just as I was logging on. Not too many new pics but I am going to do better next time. I have gotten out of the habit of carrying the camera around with me and there have been at least 20 times that I have thought to myself, "that would be such a cute picture!" and then by the time I find it, Jay is on to other projects.
He is still testing me but is learning that he usually is the one who suffers in the end so things have been less dramatic than last week.
A few things he started doing this week...
Plays fetch with Jake. We go down to the pond every afternoon and let Jake swim. He watches me throw the tennis ball out and claps when Jake brings it back. Then he wanted to help. So he threw his sippy cup in the pond and pointed for Jake to go get it. I had to show him that we throw the ball...not his dishes. :)
Sit in the pond. Fortunately the pond is very shallow in front of our house since Jay loves plopping in like his best friend does. He started by just getting his feet in the pond, then got tired and just sat down. He loved it. So, he gets a front row seat to watch the great game of fetch and also is cooled off. He doesn't like when I strip him down and hose him off before going inside though.
Play naked. I have just started taking his diaper off while we are outside just to see what he would do when he peed. It was so funny the first time...he was totally shocked...looked down and back at me like, "Whoa! what was that!?" Then played with his new found friend for a little while. :)
Wears his brown sandal flip flops. These shoes are by far his favorite. They are hand-me-downs from his favorite cousin Brooks (as are 95% of all of his wardrobe thanks to Melanie and Ray!) But he will go into his closet, find them, and beg us to put them on...even just to walk around the house. His first love of shoes came a few weeks ago when he put together that putting on shoes = going somewhere fun. Now he doesn't even care if we go anywhere....just to put them on is wonderful. And I just realized why....Wes wears his leather flip flops all of the time. They look just alike. It is amazing what he notices!
Feeding himself. This has gradually become one of his "must do" events which, at first, I was happy about...that is until he decided he would not eat unless he is feeding himself. I usually feed him his meal and then let him have at it after he is done. Now I can't get one bite in him before he is screaming for the spoon which, as it turns out, is messy and very unproductive. If he is in a good mood he will compromise and let us both feed him...that is better than nothing I guess. I've always heard the oldest is usually independent....that is sooooo true in my Jaybird's case!
Eating oranges. I discovered that he liked oranges a while back but lately he has become obsessed with them. I have to keep the fruit bowl out of site or he will yell and point until I give him one (which is a very time consuming snack, I might add...and a child cannot live solely on oranges!). After he is done eating the fruit part I give him the orange and he finishes it off, eating the white part, whatever peeling he manages to bite off, and every bit of the juice that is left. It really is funny to watch. At least he has latched on to a healthy snack, I guess.
That is all I can think of right now. I'll try to get some pictures of him at the pond for the next post. And maybe a video or two.

1 comment:

  1. Shannon you are doing an excellent job with the Blog, and YES Granny June would of love it.
    She would of talked Papa into getting her a computer just for THIS ONE reason. I think Uncle Alan & Aunt Gina are going to have to make an investment mainly because of Jaybird. They have to look at the blog either at work or a friends house. Their friends must think their crazy.

    ReplyDelete