Jay, Eli, and June!

Jay, Eli, and June!

Thursday, July 16, 2009

Ross Family Circus

Just when I thought I had this mommy thing figured out, we have a morning like yesterday and I realize I still have a long way to go. I had to take Jake to the vet for his annual exam and since he has been neglected for the past 5 months I thought I owed him a fun day at Petsmart. So, the three of us pile in my tiny car, Jay in the back, Jake in the front with me, and head to the vet. My first mission, get everyone inside without attracting too much attention. So, here I am, holding the leash in one hand (crazy dog on the other end), stroller in the other (swerving around the cars), and trying to keep my baby from loosing it (angry at the bright sun). We got some looks just going across the parking lot as the dog dragged both of us in the store. So, we get inside and sign in. Jay was now cool and distracted so he behaved for a while. After waiting 45 minutes to see the doctor, we get in the room only to find a big surprise that Jay had been working on (no wonder he was good) - all over him, his outfit, and now me. The problem being that I (in the midst of keeping the stroller and dog from riding across the parking lot) left the diaper bag in the car. So, I think, "maybe Jay will just wait until we are done". That lasted all of 2 minutes before he voiced his intense disapproval of sitting in a dirty diaper. So, I grab the baby and head out (leaving poor Jake in the room by himself). I just knew that they were going to chase after me thinking I was abandoning my dog. I guess no one noticed though because we made it back without a scene. Then, just as Jay was lying on the bench sprawled out with poop everywhere, the vet walked in. The face she gave me made it obvious that she thought I had lost my mind. By this time, Jay was screaming, Jake running around in circles, and poop was all over me, Jay, and the bench. All I could do was look at her and say, "Babies always wait until the worst time to do this, uh?" She just offered a nervous laugh. So, Jake is being examined, Jay now clean, and I am trying to save what dignity I have left by acting like I am the least bit concerned about what she is telling me. After about a minute, Jay decides he is now sleepy and demands that he be anywhere but where he is. So, I pick up my screaming sweetpea and attempt to still give my attention to the dog and vet. By this time, she is leaving the room, so I can finally focus on Jay. Except, I can't find the pacifier! "Crap, where did I put that!?" I could have sworn it was in the carseat but it isn't there. And jay is getting louder by the second. He did not want his toy, my finger, or a blanket, he wanted his pacifier. This went on for about 5 minutes until I happened to look in a little pocket under the carseat, and, yes, there it was! So, I stuffed it in his mouth, rocked him to sleep, put him in the carseat, and finally, some peace. We had to wait for some medicine - Jake has an ear infection- and then we were off. The rest of the trip was painless. I did treat myself to some Wendy's...I decided my free PB&J would not make up for the morning so I splurged and ate a spicy chicken sandwich meal for lunch, the whole time thinking, "and we want MORE kids..... am I crazy???".

1 comment:

  1. we are laughing out loud at your pet smart experience!! if only i could have been a fly on jay's carseat so i could have witnesses it all firsthand!! hilarious!! so glad you survived it and kudos to you for venturing out on that task!!! and, yay for Wendy's!!!!

    ReplyDelete