Jay, Eli, and June!

Jay, Eli, and June!

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Costa Rica

Our jimny that managed to get us in and out of the rain forest without injury....a bigger feat than it sounds. Sitting on our beach chairs at the resort, relaxing after all of the adventures.
UGA at Costa Rica!
Here are the monkeys that reached into my bag and stole my banana!!! I now have a phobia of monkeys.
The beautiful beach at Manuel Antonio National Park
Watching Arenal Volcano....we could hear the rumbling in the volcano from where we were
Good thing we have life insurance...
Wes zipping through the rain forest...by far the highlight of the trip!
That little spot on the line curving down is me holding on for dear life.
Getting ready to zip 66 miles per hour!
On the tram up to the zip lines
Poas Volcano, we were all coughing because of the steam from the crater, it was amazing to be that close.
Feeding hummingbirds at the waterfall park.
View from our balcony on the first night.
Hiking around the falls at our hotel.
I posted some of the many pictures we took on our trip. We had so much fun but are glad to be back home, well at least I am. Wes was not happy about going back to work. The worst part about the trip was that Jay decided to get his first real respiratory infection right before we left. The couple of nights before we left he was up with a 105 degree fever and screaming. We saw a doctor in Tifton who decided to draw some labs and get a chest x-ray to rule out anything too serious and after a few days of antibiotics, he was back to normal. Wes' parents were wonderful and kept reassuring us that he will be fine and to go enjoy our trip so we flew out as scheduled and spent who knows how much money calling to check in. I was heartbroken that I wasn't there to hold Jay the first time he ever got stuck and comfort him after the chest x-ray but I knew Wes' mom (aka Mama Ross) would take care of him as well as I could have. Thank you Mama Ross and Papa Tim for taking care of my baby. I'm sorry you didn't get to play as much as we planned but there is something special bond that comes with those who hold and cuddle you when you are sick and Jay definitely got a lot of cuddling from you that week. We will have to see you soon though to really play!
We stayed very busy all week exploring the rain forest, fighting with monkeys over my banana....a story too dramatic to just type out, eating at roadside "taco stands" as we call them, trying to speak what little spanish we know, riding up and down the roughest mountain side either one of us had ever seen, and just enjoying feeling like kids again. The last half was spent at an all-inclusive resort with a few day trips and by that time, we welcomed some down time by the pool. I did get sad some of the nights and Wes would try his hardest to get me to "shake it off" as he put it but in the end I usually just went to bed and was better the next morning. We realized the last night that pretty much everything we did the whole trip included a conversation about "if Jay were here he'd probably be..." and us laughing for about 10min imagining all of the messes he would get himself into. So, even though we were in another country we couldn't not imagine him with us.
The night we got to my parents house (they had him the last half--Thank you mom and dad for keeping him so well entertained) we woke him up even though it was 11:30pm and played for about an hour before putting him in between us and going to sleep. The next day I couldn't stop kissing and holding him, thankfully, he tolerated all of the attention very well. It was so nice getting a vacation from being a mom but I decided a week is all I need before I am desperately wanting to change a diaper, rock to sleep, read Goodnight Moon, and even watch some awful temper tantrums.
Well that is all I can think of right now about the trip. In a few days I'll post pics of Jay and give an update on all of his accomplishments.
Here is a video our guide took with our camera as he zipped through the forest...we went down eight zip lines and by the end of it were brave enough to look out and see just how stinkin' high we were!

2 comments:

  1. trips sounds awesome! so glad you got a chance to get away!........and how DID you on a resident's salary only?? we need to learn some tips so we can enjoy trips like these while living off pennies during intern year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must hear this monkey story! I'll trade you my Elmo in Times Square story for the banana theft one...it sounds hysterical. Glad y'all had such a fun time and that Jay was so well taken care of!

    ReplyDelete