Jay, Eli, and June!

Jay, Eli, and June!

Sunday, January 24, 2010

New Year Resolutions

Let me start by saying I usually don't post blogs that are true "blogs" but I just was thinking about these things in church today so thought I'd include it in the blog. Sorry I don't have more pictures, I will do better next week. This morning on the news they said that January 25th is the most depressing day of the year. This is because this is the day most people discover the reality of how difficult it is to change and usually give up on New Year's Resolutions. After seeing this I decided that I would start my New Year Resolutions on Jan 25th, hoping to avoid the cursed day all together. We'll see. My resolutions are several and I really have no excuse since I am not working and have always said to myself, "Now if I was a stay-at-home mom I would have plenty of time to _____ and it would be so much easier." I realized the other day that I have been a stay-at-home mom for 11 months now and have yet to do any of those wonderful things. Of course, I will say that for the first several months I didn't even know my own name anymore and was happy to just keep the baby alive but since then my excuses have slowly ran dry. So, I am listing out what I am going to do starting now and will hopefully, in actually typing these out, will stick to them. -Join a Sunday School/Bible Study (this I have been putting off because I just couldn't make myself go without Wes and since he works most Sundays, I just chicken-out, which is ridiculous because I went to Sun School alone all the time before I got married, go figure) -Join the church we have been going to since June (wes and I have been in mourning since we moved because we LOVED our church in Macon, we visited one of the first Sundays we were in Macon and by the end of the service, knew that God wanted us to join. We joined Ingleside the next Sunday and over the next four years grew more in our marriage and as individuals than we could have ever imagined. The church up here is great but we just keep saying, "but it's just not Ingleside". Today I realized that if God still wanted us at Ingleside, we would be in Macon! So, it is time that we get involved in a church here, knowing that God will teach us even more if we just allow Him to. -Walk the dog every day (This was a hard lesson learned this week after we had to take Jake to the vet for a pulled neck muscle and discovered he is 15lbs overweight! This is completely my fault since I have not walked him 1/2 as much as I used too when we were in Macon. So, no matter how freaking cold it is, we will be out walking, coats/hats/scarfs and all!) -Start a REAL garden (This will have to wait a few months but I am reading up on how to get the garden ready and will hopefully be able to teach Jay a thing or two by the time we leave Cola) FYI: I learned this week that Cola is how the locals refer to Columbia so in an effort to seem cool, I will now refer to it that way as well. -Start memorizing Bible verses again (I have been super-slack about this for the past year, and if I am really honest, ever since I got married. So, I am pulling out my old index cards and Rolodex and will start the Sharon Holder's scripture verse boot camp again! My NBC friends will understand this. :) -Volunteer (This is just one of the things I said I would always do when I stayed at home, I really thought it wouldn't be until Wes was out of residency but since I am blessed enough to stay at home, even if just for a short time, I need to give back where I can. And since we aren't able to give monetarily, maybe I can give my time.) So, if you are still reading my babbling, I hope that I can stick to it. And I know that many of our wonderful Mercer friends are in the same boat so I will be thinking about all of us as we try to find a place to fit in our new towns, as new moms, and with husbands who are at work far more than they are at home. Now, just to brag on my husband (he is in his intern year which is not ophthalmology but internal medicine)...he came home from work today (was on-call last night) and said that one of his attendings told the nurses that he thinks very highly of Wes and that he is the smartest one. Then he told them, "but it's a shame he's going to be a damn eye doctor!" haha.... Here are my boys taking a snooze after Wes' call night....

3 comments:

  1. I love the Cola reference--I myself will start referring to it that way to sound cooler/in-the-know as well. Did you know Chicago is Chio? Great resolutions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wonder if i'm cool since i refer to our town as 'nashvegas....'' hehe! thanks for the motivation with the resolutions...thought i was too late, but our date can be the 25th, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post- thank you for sharing your goals!! We loved Ingleside too...but have joined a new church here and have really enjoyed getting as involved as possible- even if it does mean going on my own. :( God will give you a group of girls to rely on and you will grow to love it just as much or MORE than IBC. Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete